Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A-Z Challenge, Day #6 - The Letter "F" is for Family Farmhouse in Weddington, Arkansas:


Click here to go to the A-Z Blogging Challenge Website.

Welcome!  From February 28 - March 16, my best friend husband Cary and I went on a trip.  From Eugene, we traveled to parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana.  I haven't blogged about it yet, and thought that highlighting our vacation would be the perfect way to participate in this year's Blogging from A-Z Challenge.  My blog isn't always about travel, but for the next month it will mainly feature travel photos and memories of our experience.

This is my fourth time participating in A-Z.  For those of you unfamiliar with the challenge, participants post daily during the month of April, except for on Sundays.  That gives us 26 posts for the month.  It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. We visit the blogs of others who are taking the challenge, connecting with old friends and making new friends.





Family Farmhouse in Weddington, Arkansas:

On Tuesday, March 3, my cousins Barbara and Carolyn and I headed out to the Johnson farm in Weddington/Summers, Arkansas.  We visited with several family members, and walked through the abandoned old farm house where my Dad was born.  

I had been yearning to get back there since my last visit in 1976.
As luck would have it, the farm had just sold.  I don't know if the new people will tear it down or not, but I am sure glad that we got to go and see it on this trip.

Nobody has lived there since 1979, when my Great-Aunt Mabel Johnson Henderson died. The house was very old even then.  It was also our Grandma Sallie's home prior to her death in 1962.

 Grandpa Delmar Johnson with his sister, Mabel, 
in front of the old farmhouse in 1976


This is what it looks like now: 










Carolyn and Barbara


Me and Barbara


I chose a few things to bring back home with me:


This valentine is 8"x10", and 
says "Grandma, 1948" on the back.







So, that is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks so much for your visit.
 

Please click here to check out others posting in the A-Z Blogging Challenge Participant List. A-Z Blogging Challenge Participant List.  I do have comment moderation on, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry. If a word verification shows up, just ignore it. I didn't put it on, Google did, and your comment will still go through even if you don't fill it out.

Have a super day! 

 ~ Kathy M. 



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

5 comments:

Sally said...

It's such a shame to see the deterioration in a much loved home. I hope the new owners are sympathetic in whatever they decide to do with the property.

L. D. said...

My father in laws house looked a lot like this after he left the home. He lived with us and the house was ransacked and the roof gave out and things were mostly ruined. It is hard to see it as you have seen it.

Connie said...

Hi Kathy, while I was looking at your post that old Tennessee Ernie Ford song came to my mind, "This Old House". Do you know it? You could probably find him singing it on You Tube. It's a shame, but I am happy that you found a few treasures, they will mean even more as time goes by.
Keep Smiling.
Connie :)

Shelly Miller said...

How cool is it that you got to visit where your dad was born. I assume you mean literally in the home. Do you know which room it was? I think it is so awesome. Your pictures are great.

Lynn said...

I'm sure it was fascinating to take a trip through that old family house. I'm glad you were able to grab a few things. It's always kind of sad to see an old place fall apart. Loved all the photos! One of these days I'll need to participate in the A-Z challenge!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":